Страницы

вторник, 31 июля 2012 г.

Take care, be aware!

Marina: I went for a pedicure yesterday to the ordinary salon at the nearest plaza.Quite busy. Yes, I can do it myself, but I want to relax sometimes. I couldn’t. All I could think of was how unhygienic the whole process was. I still can’t relax, waiting for the symptoms of some infection to appear. It surprises me how many people don't even assume they can get infected during salon treatments.

They have the same footbath for everyone, which is not sanitized between the clients. Many of dangerous infections and bacteria can easily spread in warm damp environment. Anytime you break the integrity of the skin (happens during wax, manicure, pedicure, etc.) the risk of infection increases as well. Even if you don’t get hepatitis B or C or HIV, you have a huge chance of catching toenail fungus. I promised to myself I’ll never ever go to an esthetician I don’t 100% trust!

To reduce the risk of contagion, always make sure your esthetician washes her hands before touching your body and uses hand sanitizer regularly. Most of them do wear gloves.

- While waxing, esthetician has to use brand-new spatula for each swipe to your skin. Double dipping brings bacteria into the wax pot.

- Uses new wax cartridge refill for every client.

- Properly sanitizes footbath and all the tools after each client.

- Uses clean towels, sheets, etc.

- Uses new nail file or buffer for each client. 

- Doesn't do anything you suspect to cause an infection. Let your esthetician know whenever you feel uncomfortable. 

Dasha:
It is too bad that there is no government body that curates estheticians and hairdressers, making board examination mandatory like any other profession. Basically you dont need a license to become one. Therefore, everyone is welcome to do whatever they learned in other country (or didn't learn), nobody is afraid to loose their license. This is a real problem, since dentists, nurses ect professionals, which do come in contact with blood or mucouse membranes have to have a license, how come estheticians don't? Think about it.

I work with a lot of estheticians across Canada and I can assure you 60% or more do not know how to properly sterilize their equipment and take proper safety and sanitary precautions when dealing with clients. Even simple things like double dipping in the pot with the same spatula while waxing is a common thing! A lot of estheticians assume that since wax is used hot, bacterias get killed due to heat. Its a myth and a lie! Bacterias can survive even in volcano crates!

I am not going to give you a lecture of proper sanitation in the salons, but please be aware of this issue and chose your esthetician wisely. 

Take care, be aware!

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий